Thursday, August 7, 2008

Our weekend away...Blue Mountains & Hill End!

We had an amazing weekend away!! Sooo lucky to have such an awesome hubby...takes me ALLLL kinds of places! ha! It really was great...although totally random! Friday night I picked Pete up from work..and off we headed to the Blue Mountains..! Now may I remind you that it is still 'winter' over here..and if anywhere is going to be cold....it's the Blue Mountains! Soooooo when we got there on Friday night it was 2C and freeeeeezing, hailing and yeah just freaken' cold! Although my sweet hubby had booked us this awesome bed & breakfast place, that had heated blankets on the beds....*bonus points*..! We enjoyed Thai food for dinner..YUM-O and then curled up into our cozy beds and slept like babies!!! It was 'Christmas in July' at the Blue Mountains...so the place was decked out with decorations! Pretty sweet..actually felt like Christmas..(our real Christmas at home) I still haven't got used to Christmas in Oz..is sooo HOT! Breakfast in the morning was awesome...everything homemade..and soooo tasty! Pete was sweet enough to buy me a new beanie...I forgot mine..and was claiming that my ears were going to fall off they were sooooo cold! So once I got my new hat we were off.....to Hill End! Which turned out to be (if possible) even COLDER then the Blue Mountains...! Hill End was a pretty hoppen' place during the gold rush, which was in the 1800's. It was a town of about 8,000 people...52 hotels and a mile of shops....! Needless to say..there is NOTHING left....1 hotel, which we stayed in, and a random shop!!! Pretty awesome though...people still go there and look for gold in the river banks..!! We played pool with the locals and enjoyed a few drinks!!! Slept in a seriously crappy bed....neither of us got ANY SLEEP....in the morning Pete decided to tell me that the place was actually haunted..! Ahhhh thanks RAT!!! So that was interesting....during the night I kept hearing tapping on the window glass, and our door knob was rattling......! I just thought it was because the place was soooo old! So yep....it was great though! Super fun weekend, enjoyed the idea of having kangaroo's hopping along beside you while you were driving!! It was great to get out of the city a bit and enjoy some country!!! Thanks baby!!!

Me in front of our super cute "English Bed & Breakfast" In the Blue Mountains

Our official 'Christmas in July' photo!

We are both getting ....SERIOUSLY.... addicted to having one of these every morning!

Us on Saturday morning in the Blue Mountains!

My new beanie from my hubby!!!

2 comments:

Allen and Sharla said...

So glad you had a great time, I have been NOT so patiently waiting to hear where good ol Pete took ya!!! I would have been glad to not know about the haunted hotel until after I slept there too!! Creepy!! We are off this morning for convention in Illinois (Seneca). It is about time to wake up the rugrats and throw them in the car! Thanks for the update...always love reading about what is going on over there in OZ. Miss ya like crazy!!! Love ya, Sharla

Anna said...

Yay!!! I've been unpatiently waiting as "Sharla" has for these details, haha!!! Can you tell I need excitement in my life!??! I have to live thru others adventures... haha!!! It looks like you guys had a very awesome adventure... don't you just love exploring new places?! It's funny you say the hotel in the ghost town looks like a cowboy place (it does!) it could totally pass for being in the middle of the midwest of america, right?! i think so... and you felt like you were experiencing a real american xmas!!! i haven't even experienced that in florida and i am WITHIN the 50-states, hahaha... oh man, i'm so happy for you both tho, good for you for taking a weekend for yourselves... major points to your hubby!!! i tried to tell zane that he should take after pete, he was like, haaaaaaa... yah... maybe someday, hahaha =) awww, good thing i love the little bugger so freakin much =-D